Monday, April 4, 2011

Mistakes

When I penned the blog titled, Advice to my younger self, a friend of mine responded that she loved the quotes. She didn't realize that I was writing to myself. She then marveled that I really should write a book because she gives her daughter similar advice. I don’t know if I will have children but life has taught me a lot. It has been my biggest teacher, if nothing else. My mistakes have taught me so much and actually my wisdom is a result of mistakes that I’ve made or mistakes that I’ve seen others make.

I clearly remember one day when I felt extremely sad and I called my mother’s house to speak to her. My mother wasn’t there but my sister was. Initially, we just had small talk but I was so despondent,  I had to get something off my chest, even if I wasn’t going to give her details. I said to my sister, who is 14 years younger than me, “I’ve made so many mistakes.” I just kept crying on the phone as she listened and then she said, “We all make mistakes.” Simple words but they mean so much.

Of course, I know we all make mistakes but when your little sister or any child shares their pearls of wisdom, you can’t help but smile as they’ve affirmed what you truly know.

Today, know that I am imperfect. I make a lot of mistakes. Please know that I fall at times but I promise you this, I will try my best to keep standing and to always get up. Forgive yourself when you make mistakes and know that no matter how big the mistake is, you will recover. Know that YOU are not a mistake and use your mistakes to guide you as to what you ought not to do in the future.

You are smarter than you realize and your mistakes don’t define you. Learn from them and keep moving!

Be blessed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment